October 16, 2019, We recommend that you wait for installers which we are developing before attempting to install and use jormungandr on Windows. These instructions will likely not work for you. If you are still keen to run jormungandr on windows you can try using git bash which allows you to enter Linux commands found in the Linux articles on this site but we do not support the use of Git Bash here.
This article assumes that you have basic knowledge of using the command line tool PowerShell. If you do not, you can check Basic instructions on how to use PowerShell (Windows)
Note on antivirus software
Some antivirus software is detecting jormungandr and jcli as a virus. This due to the fact that is a binary downloaded from the internet and your antivirus is trying to protect you from malicious executables. In this case, you just need to create an exception in your anti-virus software for jormungandr and jcli and it will not be blocked. If you use Nix installers that are signed your anti-virus software should not detectjormungandr and jcli as a virus.
Windows users should use PowerShell and not CMD for executing these commands.
1. Download the latest version jormungandr from GitHub. Under Assets select the jormungandr-v-[the latest version number]-x86_64-pc-windows-gnu.zip for example jormungandr-v-0.5.6-x86_64-pc-windows-gnu.zip and double click to download this archive.
2. Decompress the archive into a new folder. Have a look at the folder, it will have the
3. Create your configuration file. It must be named
node-config.yaml and your OS must recognize it as a .yaml file type.
You can create the file in any plain text editor (like notepad) and save it to the same folder that the
jcli files are in.
Using the plain text editor like Notepad copy/paste the below lines into a new file and save it as
- address: "/ip4/22.214.171.124/tcp/3000"
- address: "/ip4/126.96.36.199/tcp/3000"
- address: "/ip4/188.8.131.52/tcp/3000"
- address: "/ip4/184.108.40.206/tcp/3000"
- address: "/ip4/220.127.116.11/tcp/3000"
- address: "/ip4/18.104.22.168/tcp/3000"
- address: "/ip4/22.214.171.124/tcp/3000"
You can also check your .yaml file here (external site not related to or endorsed by IOHK)
3. Start the node by executing the below command in the same location where all 3 files were saved.
./jormungandr --config node-config.yaml --genesis-block-hash adbdd5ede31637f6c9bad5c271eec0bc3d0cb9efb86a5b913bb55cba549d0770
We recommend enabling RUST_BACKTRACE while starting the node, to do this you would use the following command instead of the one above:
RUST_BACKTRACE=full ./jormungandr --config node-config.yaml --genesis-block-hash adbdd5ede31637f6c9bad5c271eec0bc3d0cb9efb86a5b913bb55cba549d0770
See How to Start the Node to get your new Shelley Networked Testnet Node up and running.