With the introduction of the Shelley Incentivized Testnet, the Cardano ecosystem has grown to become a more complex environment. There are now two blockchains in use side by side all the time: Byron era Cardano mainnet, and Shelley era Incentivized Testnet. See Cardano Networks for more details.
To meet the needs of these two related but different blockchains, the Daedalus wallet has now been adapted and released in different editions.
Note that versions of Yoroi may be available for these networks too. Please see https://yoroi-wallet.com/#/ for more info.
|Era||Cardano Networks||Wallet Edition||Current Wallet Version||Main Feature||Recovery Phrase||Icon|
|Byron||Cardano Mainnet||Daedalus||0.15.1||3rd generation blockchain||12-word|
|Shelley||Shelley Incentivized Testnet||Daedalus Rewards||Coming Soon||Staking, Delegation, Rewards||15-word|
|Shelley||Shelley Incentivized Testnet||Daedalus Balance Check||Retired||Balance Check Snapshot validation||15-word|
|Byron||Cardano Mainnet||Daedalus Redemption||Coming Soon||Redemption||12-word||
|All||All||Daedalus Paper Wallet||n/a||Offline storage||27-word||n/a|
Paper wallets are created and restored using the software Daedalus editions:
|Daedalus Balance Check||No||Yes||27-Word|
See also Daedalus Paper Wallet for more info.
Visually the software Daedalus editions look very similar, but they have different colour schemes and some other design elements that will help users to be clear about which edition they are using. Also, the icons for the application are different (see table above). You can always check which edition you are using by checking the top of the application window:
There is a lot of detailed information about functionality in this support portal but at a high level
- Daedalus wallet on Cardano mainnet supports send and receive ada functions
- Daedalus Rewards on Shelley incentivized testnet will support checking the ada balance that was captured in the Snapshot; staking and delegation of ada; accumulation of real rewards.
- Daedalus Balance Check (retired) on Shelley incentivized testnet supported checking the ada balance that was captured in the Balance Check Snapshot.
- Daedalus Redemption wallet on Cardano mainnet will support the redemption of ada only, for other functions you should use the latest Daedalus wallet.
- Daedalus Paper Wallet is a paper certificate that acts as cold storage for keeping ada offline. It can be created and restored using Daedalus wallet.