Editions: Daedalus Rewards
Step 1 - Verifying your wallet recovery phrase
To participate in the Shelley Incentivized Testnet program, you need to have a wallet recovery phrase for a Cardano mainnet wallet which was holding ada at the time of the balance snapshot on November 29, 2019 at 12:00 UTC.
To make sure that you have the correct wallet recovery phrase for your mainnet wallet, you can use the "wallet recovery phrase verification" feature in Daedalus to verify that you have the correct one.
- Retrieve your wallet recovery phrase from the safe place where you store it.
- Launch Daedalus for mainnet by clicking this icon:
- Wait for Daedalus to connect to the Cardano network and synchronize with the blockchain.
In the list of wallets on the left side, select the wallet for which you want to verify your recovery phrase, and click ’Settings’ on the ‘More’ tab.
- Click the ‘Verify wallet recovery phrase’ button in the ‘Do you have your wallet recovery phrase?’ section of the wallet settings page.
- Make sure nobody can see or record your screen and confirm this by ticking the box and clicking ‘Continue’.
- Enter the list of 12 words from your wallet recovery phrase in the correct order and click ‘Verify’.
- You should see the ‘Verification successful’ message on your screen if you have entered the correct wallet recovery phrase.
If you get a ’verification failure’ message, you can click the ’Verify again’ button to go back and re-enter your wallet recovery phrase.
If you have multiple wallet recovery phrases and are not sure which one belongs to which wallet, you can try entering them one by one until you find the correct one. You will not be locked out of Daedalus for too many incorrect attempts.
Step 2 - Installing Daedalus for the Incentivized Testnet
- After you have verified that you have the correct wallet recovery phrase for your wallet, open your preferred internet browser and go to https://staking.cardano.org/en/delegation. From this site, you can download the Rewards version of Daedalus for the Incentivized Testnet.
- Scroll down the page and download the appropriate installer for your operating system.
- After the download is completed, click the downloaded installer, and proceed through the installation process.
- The ‘Rewards’ version of Daedalus has now been installed. You can recognize this version of Daedalus by its icon, which has the ‘REWARDS TN v1’ label and application name ‘Daedalus - Rewards v1’. Launch the Rewards version of Daedalus by clicking this icon.
- Accept the default settings, or change your preferences if you prefer, and click ‘Continue’. You have now completed the initial setup.
- Since this is the first time you are launching this version of Daedalus, you need to review and accept the Terms of Service Agreement. Read the service agreement text, and if you have no issues with the outlined requirements tick the ‘I agree with terms of service’ box and click ‘Continue’.
- Every time you launch this version of Daedalus, you will see the splash screen explaining that this is a special Rewards version of Daedalus which connects to the Incentivized Testnet network. This is to ensure that there is no confusion for users intending to transact on the Cardano mainnet who may have accidentally opened the wrong version of Daedalus.
The ’Learn more’ button takes you to the Incentivized Testnet website.
8. Click the ‘I understand’ button to proceed to the main user interface.
Step 3 - Restoring a Balance wallet
To get access to your testnet ada, you need to restore a wallet which held ada on the mainnet at the time of the balance snapshot on November 29, 2019 at 12:00 UTC. Use the wallet recovery phrase that you verified in Step 1.
- Click ‘Restore’.
- Enter a wallet name.
- Keep the default selection of ‘12 words’ if you are restoring a Daedalus mainnet wallet.
- Enter your 12 word wallet recovery phrase.
- Set a spending password.
- Click ‘Restore wallet’.
Successfully completing these steps should result in the generation of a Balance wallet with the same amount of testnet ada as you had in your mainnet wallet at the time of the balance snapshot.
Step 4 - Creating a Rewards wallet
Balance wallets are limited in functionality and are used only to restore ada copied from the mainnet during the balance snapshot. To use the delegation features of Daedalus and earn rewards, you will need to create a Rewards wallet and move all of the ada from your Balance wallet to the Rewards wallet.
Make sure you keep all recovery phrases for your Rewards wallets safe. You will need these recovery phrases to redeem Incentivized Testnet rewards on the Cardano mainnet.
If you select a Balance wallet which isn’t empty, the red notification bar will guide you through the process of creating a Rewards wallet.
- Click the ‘Create a new Rewards wallet’ button.
- Click the “‘Create’ button.
- Name your wallet, set a spending password, and click ‘Create a wallet’.
- Read the instructions on the screen. Make sure nobody can see or record your screen and confirm this by ticking the box. Click ‘Continue’.
5. Read the instructions on the screen. Write down the list of 15 words on a piece of paper in the exact order in which they are shown. Click ‘Yes, I have written it down’.
6. Click each word from your recovery phrase in the correct order to confirm that you have the correct recovery phrase.
Carefully read the text next to each of the boxes, tick the boxes and click ‘Confirm’.
Your new, empty Rewards wallet is now created. It should be visible in the user interface.
Step 5 - Moving ada from a Balance wallet to a Rewards wallet
- Select your Balance wallet in the list of wallets. If the Balance wallet is not empty you will see the red notification bar guiding you to move ada from the Balance wallet to a Rewards wallet.
- Click ‘Move testnet ada’.
- Verify that the correct Rewards wallet is selected under ‘To Rewards wallet’ and click ‘Continue’.
- Enter the spending password for your Balance wallet and click ‘Transfer funds’.
- Daedalus will create as many transactions as required to move all of the ada from the selected Balance wallet to the selected Rewards wallet.
- Your Balance wallet should be now empty and you should be able to see new transactions that moved ada to the Rewards wallet in the transaction history.
- Select your Rewards wallet by clicking on it in the list of wallets. Rewards wallets can be recognized by their lack of a red ‘Balance’ label next to their name.
- Verify that all of the testnet ada you were expecting, except any spent on fees, is now in your Rewards wallet.
Step 6 - Understanding the delegation user interface
Click the second icon from the top in the main navigation to access delegation features. You can click through the tabs on top to see all currently available delegation features.
The delegation center displays information about the current epoch and the time until the next epoch starts. Epochs on the Incentivized Testnet last 24 hours.
All of the Rewards wallets are also displayed on this screen with their delegation preferences on the right side. Delegation can be initiated from this screen by clicking on the ‘Delegate’ link.
Please note that changes to delegation preferences take effect after both the current epoch and next epochs are completed.
The stake pools tab lists all of the available stake pools with their ticker symbols and ranking.
Clicking on a stake pool opens a window with details. Delegation can also be initiated from this screen by clicking on the ‘Delegate to this pool’ button.
The rewards tab displays rewards earned for each of your Rewards wallets.
Please note that rewards are collected after the end of each epoch. When you delegate your stake for the first time, you will need to wait for the current epoch and next two epochs to complete for your delegation preferences to be in effect. Your first rewards can then be collected after one more epoch completes.
Step 7 - Delegating your stake
After moving testnet ada to a Rewards wallet and exploring the delegation user interface, you can choose a stake pool to which you would like to delegate your stake.
- Initiate delegation either from the list of wallets on the ‘Delegation center’ tab or from a stake pool details window on the ‘Stake pools’ tab.
- Review the steps to delegate a wallet and click ‘Continue’.
- Select a wallet with stake you would like to delegate and click ‘Continue’.
4. Select a stake pool to which you want to delegate your stake. If you have initiated delegation from a stake pool detail window on the ‘Stake pools’ tab, that stake pool will already be selected. Click ‘Continue’.
5. Confirm your new delegation preferences by entering your spending password and click ‘Continue’. Bear in mind that each time you change your delegation preferences you are posting a delegation certificate on the Cardano blockchain, which incurs fees like any other blockchain transaction.
6. The stake in your wallet is now delegated to the stake pool of your choice. Your new delegation preferences will take effect after both the current epoch and the next Cardano epochs are completed. Rewards will be earned from that point onwards and your first set of rewards, if you have chosen a performant stake pool, will be collected from the end of the epoch.
Step 8 - Collecting rewards
Rewards are automatically collected after each epoch (lasting 1 day on the Incentivized Testnet). You can view the total amount of rewards earned for each of your wallets on the ‘Rewards’ tab, and download a CSV file for your records that can be opened in Microsoft Excel, Apple Numbers, Google Sheets, or similar spreadsheet software.
At some point after the Incentivized Testnet program is over, rewards will be transferred to mainnet and you will be able to redeem your rewards using the wallet recovery phrase of your Rewards wallet.
If you have any questions or encounter any issues, please contact IOHK Technical Support by submitting a request using the Help menu in Daedalus.