Announcement - 2nd July 2020 - Cardano SL end of life
*ACTION REQUIRED* Cardano road to Shelley *IMPORTANT UPDATE*
Attention: Cardano SL end of life
This affects all exchanges still running cardano-sl, please read the following notice carefully.
On the 7th of July 2020, as part of the journey to launching Shelley era functionality on the Cardano mainnet, IOHK will decommission all legacy Byron nodes and relays.
Why are we doing this?
This is an important step towards the beginning of the Shelley era on mainnet, and in preparation for Cardano’s hard fork, currently planned for the end of July.
What do you need to do?
To avoid any outage or downtime adversely affecting your customers, all exchanges still using cardano-sl must migrate to a supported version of the wallet before the 7th of July 2020. For a full list of Shelley supported components please see the Adrestia website here
What happens if you don’t migrate?
Exchanges that don’t migrate before 7th July 2020 risk losing connectivity to mainnet for an extended period of time. If you do not follow the instructions outlined here and in any subsequent communications, the Cardano Foundation and IOHK cannot be held responsible for any service interruptions or outage to your customers.
Upcoming key dates and milestones
The following are important dates and migration milestones please take note :
- 2nd July 2020 - IOHK announce the release of Shelley cardano-node v1.15
- 7th July 2020 - Cardano SL end of life
- 21st July 2020 - Final Shelley cardano-node candidate available
- 29th July 2020 - Shelley hard fork
Next steps for exchanges
1. Migrate to a supported version of Cardano
Please ensure you have migrated to a supported version of the wallet prior to the July 7th cut off date. For details on the supported version of Cardano please visit the Adrestia Github page here
2. Integrate with the new Shelley testnet
The new Shelley testnet is now available and can be used to test the suggested Shelley integration. It is strongly recommended that all exchanges upgrade and connect to Shelley testnet and confirm everything is working as expected.
To connect to the Shelley testnet using cardano-wallet follow these steps below:
- Download and build cardano-node and connect to Shelley testnet
- Download cardano-wallet from here and follow these steps to build connect to cardano-node and Shelley testnet here
- Request Shelley testnet ada from the faucet
3. Update cardano-node to Shelley supported version
For exchanges using cardano-wallet, cardano-rest and cardano-graphql please update cardano-node to the correct Shelley supported version before the upcoming hard fork scheduled for 29th July 2020